Preparing for Sunday - Matthew 16:17-20
- Read Matthew 16:13-20. Focus on 16:18-20.
- Why does Jesus name Simon as Peter?
- What is "the rock" upon which Jesus will build his church?
- How does Jesus describe the "church?"
- What do "the gates of hell" refer to? What do "gates" on a city do/what are they used for?
- What do "keys of the kingdom" refer to? What do these keys do; what are they used for? Who has these keys according to this text?
- Describe the interplay between earth and heaven in this passage. What do you think it is referring to?
- Why would Jesus ask the disciples about who people say he is (v 13) and then tell the disciples not to tell anyone who they know he is (v 20)?
- What does this passage suggest about the authority of the church?
- How should the fact that Jesus is building the church affect our approach to church ministry?
- In what ways is it helpful for us to consider the implications of the church belonging to Jesus?
- Does this passage teach the primacy of Peter among the apostles? Why or why not?
- What confidence should we glean from the fact that the gates of hell will not prevail against the church?
- How should this passage affect your approach to Jesus' church?
- How would this passage assist you in praying specifically for your church right now?
- How could this passage encourage you and your ministry to any specific people within your church? Those who you know are walking away from a biblical and purposeful pursuit of Christ? Those who are passionately pursuing Christ?
- How should you be encouraged or convicted personally about what this passage emphasizes?
- Pray for non-Christians who will be present this Sunday to respond appropriately to God's word.
- How should this text impact our congregation as a whole?
- Pray that God will prepare our hearts for his work of grace this Sunday as we gather.
- Pray for those who will be leading our gathering to edify the body well: Dawson Bryant, music; Mark Krystyniak, Elders' Prayer and Scripture Reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Listen to the songs we will be singing together and meditate on the message of each song. Prepare yourself to sing together with the church on the Lord's Day
Songs for Sunday
Morning Gathering - October 19, 2014 by Summit Woods Baptist Church