Preparing for Sunday - 1 John 2:15-17
- Read 1 John 2:15-17
- What is "the world" in this context?
- From what you learn in this passage, what is the danger of loving the world?
- What is true about "the world" that would create such severe spiritual consequences?
- Why is it more valuable to have the love of God the Father than to love the world?
- How can you be a loving person to people in the world without loving the world in the way John warns us about?
- When you think about 1 John 2:16, how does these issues practically show themselves in your life?
- What is most tempting about the world system to you? How does it affect your heart affections for God?
- How do you stoke your heart's love for God in such a way that the world's temptations are less inviting?
- What sin do you need to confess before God now in light of what this passage indicates to you? How could this passage be a comfort and encouragement to your soul? Give thanks to God for that now.
- How would the content of this passage assit you in talking with friends, family, co-workers, neighbors about the gospel, the love of God, and the love of the world? Think in specific terms with specific people in mind. How should this passage impact your relationships this week?
- Pray for non-Christians to be convicted of sin and drawn to the glory of Christ this Sunday through all that takes place.
- Pray that those who lead the service will edify the body in the most helpful ways: Dawson Bryant, music; Mark Krystyniak, Elders' Prayer and Scripture Reading; Brandon Ferguson, teaching.
- Listen to the music we will sing together. Meditate on the message of each song. Prepare yourself to sing with understanding and zeal.
Songs for Sunday
Morning Gathering - October 5, 2014