Preparing for Sunday - Matthew 12:46-50
- Read Matthew 12:46-50.
- Summarize this passage in one sentence.
- Where does this take place (see Mark 3:20; Matthew 13:1)? How does it related to the context of the previous paragraphs in chapter 12?
- Who is Jesus speaking to?
- Where are Jesus' mother and brothers? Are they referenced as his disciples in this passage?
- Read Mark 3:21. Why would Jesus' family be seeking him out this way? What does this indicate about their relationship to him as disciples at this time?
- Does Jesus completely reject his family as important here? Why or why not?
- What does this passage suggest about disciples and their relationship to one another? And to Jesus?
- How should we view each other within the church, based on this passage?
- What does this passage teach about the nature of true discipleship?
- How does your relationship to other Christians match the kind of relationship Jesus describes in this passage? What could draw your relationship closer? What tends to hinder such depth of relationship between you and other believers? What could you do this week to reverse that and deepen your relationship with other beleivers?
- This Sunday we will celebrate the Lord's Table together - a visible sign of our union as the family of God. How could you best prepare yourself to partake of the elements in a way that also reflects what this passage is all about?
- What sin does this passage bring up that is personal to you? How does this passage encourage your heart? Express both of these either in confession or thanksgiving?
- How could you pray for the church this weekend in anticipation of our gathering based on this passage?
- Pray for those who do not know Christ who will be with us on Sunday. Pray that God will show them their need for the Savior and they will respond in faith.
- Pray for believers to be encouraged and convicted where it is most helpful and necessary. Pray that Christ's body will be equipped and prepared to serve one another well.
- Pray for those who will be leading our gathering to serve in the most edifying way: Dawson Bryant, music; Sam Karl, Elders' prayer and Scripture Reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Listen to the music we will sing and read through the lyrics. Prepare yourself to sing with understanding and zeal for Christ this Lord's Day.
Songs for Sunday
Morning and Evening Gathering - January 26, 2014 by Summit Woods Baptist Church