Preparing for the Sermon - Matthew 6:9
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Matthew 6:7-13, then go back and focus on vs. 9 for this week. What is being instructed in this verse?
- What is stated or acknowledged about God?
- What is your understanding of the word “Hallowed”? The Holman Christian Standard Version interprets it as “your name be honored as Holy”. How does this impact the instruction given?
- How does this verse set the tone for the remainder of the prayer?
- Reflect on your previous understanding of this passage as a whole. Have you believed this to be repeated verbatim or an outline for prayer?
- How does this passage currently impact your time in prayer?
- Reflect on “Hallowed be Your name”. How does that specifically impact your prayers?
- Many religions outside Christianity pray, how is this instruction distinct to Christianity and why could it not be used by other faith groups? How significant is “our” in vs. 9?
- What do we have to be thankful for from this verse?