Preparing for the Sermon - Genesis: In the Beginning (Part 9)
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read Genesis ch 6-7. What kind of restriction was placed on mankind? For what reason did God declare his punishment of mankind?
- What is recorded about Noah and why was he given the responsibility that he’s known for?
- What are the differences between the consequence of sin outlined in chapter 6 in comparison with the curses of the first sin, recorded in chapter 6?
- What are the provisions God outlines for Noah, his family, and for the future of humanity? What do we have today that would be of similar size to the ark?
- What are the details given about the rain and how it affected the earth?
- Consider the reason for the flood; what do you suppose is different about mankind today in comparison with humanity during Noah’s time? Could the language describing the world in Genesis 6 be used for describing humanity today? Why or why not?
- What do you suppose are some of the flood’s remnant effects to the world today?
- What attributes or characteristics of God do you see at work through these chapters?
- Why do you suppose God preserved humanity and the animal world the way he did instead of recreating them?