Preparing for the Sermon - 1 Cor. 11:23-26February 22, 2018 Preparing for Sunday
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read 1 Corinthians 11:23-26. From whom did Paul receive the instructions he is passing on to his readers? Read Matthew 26:26-29 for the context Paul is referring to. At what point in Jesus’ earthly ministry did this take place? What was significant about the supper recorded in Matthew?
- Why does Paul give these instructions at this point in the letter? (Read the preceding paragraph in 1 Corinthians for context, due to the “For” in vs. 23)
- What does Paul say Jesus distributed to those present? What did these represent? What is supposed to be on the minds of those who take part in this?
- What naturally happens when believers take part in this practice (vs. 26)? For how long, or until what event is this practice to be observed and repeated?
- The Sermon Study equipping class notes are available online for anyone wanting to dig deeper. Please review this week's notes to help study this passage. Click here for the notes.
- With what authority does Paul communicate this information? What level of seriousness does this passage carry?
- Thinking about the original scene recorded in Matthew and how Paul refers to what took place, what was actually distributed by Jesus? What were those items meant to represent? Do you recognize any misconceptions that either you or others have had about what Jesus distributed and what that was intended to represent?
- What is usually on your mind when you take part in this ordinance? Does that represent what Paul refers to as being the intent or purpose of this practice?
- What is at stake if this passage is neglected or grossly misunderstood?