Preparing for the Gathering - 1 Thess. 5:17
Prepare your heart for our Sunday Morning Gathering by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together.
You will find tangible suggestions for putting scripture to action in your personal life and in our corporate body, links to the songs we will sing, and lyrics for you to prepare for our corporate singing.
Please see the Preparing for the Sermon post for suggestions in thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Read 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, focusing on vs. 17. Reflect on your habit of prayer over the past couple of days. Recall your recent times of prayer as well as the content of your prayers. Consider whether those times of prayer have reflected this passage.
- What are a couple of things that have recently caused your prayers to cease? During what times of day or in what circumstances are you more intentional to pray? Do you notice certain activities or circumstances that tend to take your focus away from prayer?
- Take action to commit 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 to memory, possibly to help keep your dependence on the Lord on the forefront of your mind and to help overcome issues that may have been uncovered from the past two questions.
- Consider how could this passage be used in your evangelism. Make plans to use this passage in conversation with someone this week about the gospel.
- Click the links below to find the lyrics and recordings of the songs planned for our gathering this Sunday; practice the songs, study the lyrics and sing together.
- Pray for those leading our corporate gathering this week and for the Holy Spirit’s work as the Word of God is further explained and applied: Dawson Bryant: music; Rob Stouffer: Elders' prayer & scripture reading; Bret Capranica: teaching.
Songs for Sunday
- Lead On, O King Eternal
- 10,000 Reasons
- I Asked the Lord
- How Deep the Father's Love for Us
- Jesus, Draw Me Ever Nearer