Preparing for Sunday - Zechariah
- Skim through the book of Zechariah.
- Read chapters 1-2
- From 1:1-6: Who is being addressed? What warnings were given to Zechariah to pass on?
- What had been happening in Israel up to the time of this writing? (hints in 1:12 and 7:12-14)
- What was God’s perspective on Jerusalem and the surrounding nations? What ultimate hope is given to Jerusalem?
- Read 4:8-10: What specifically was the work to be accomplished in Jerusalem?
- Read chapters 8-9: Considering the context and time period, what are the greatest aspects of the prophecies given through Zechariah, specifically from 8:7-8?
- What responsibility did Judah have according to 8:16-17? Also see 6:15.
- Read chapter 14: What is coming for Jerusalem negatively?
- Will there ultimately be peace in Jerusalem? What will spark that change?
- Re-read 1:4 and consider your attitude toward the proclamation of God’s Word. Are there any areas of God’s Word that you are ignoring?
- Consider your mindset toward the current events in our world. Do they reflect a trust in the sovereignty of God?
- Reflect on your attitude toward and involvement in the worship of God in our corporate gatherings.
- Pray for the salvation of the Jewish people, that their hearts will soften toward the Gospel.
- Consider your mindset toward our eternal security in Christ. Are we living in a way that reflects our anticipation of this?
- Pray for our congregation, that we would see opportunities to share the Gospel with the lost around us in the contexts of our individual lives.
- Pray for those who will be leading our gathering to edify the body well: Dawson Bryant, music; Elder's Prayer and Scripture Reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Listen to the songs and think through the lyrics. Prepare yourself to be focused on God alone as we sing together this Lord's Day.
Songs for Sunday
Morning Gathering - September 7, 2014