Preparing for Sunday - Worship
- Make a list of all of the ways in the Old Testament you can think of that are public occasions and/or expressions of worship to God. What kind of words are used to describe acts of worship in the Old Testament? What sort of images were used in the Old Testament to describe acceptable acts of worship to God?
- Make a list of all of the ways in the New Testament you can think of that are public occasions and/or expressions of worship to God. What kind of words are used to describe acts of worship in the New Testament? What kind of images are used in the New Testament to describe acceptable acts of worship to God?
- How would you define worship and why? How did you come up with that definition? What is the purpose of worship? Why is it important to God?
- Read John 4:20-24. What did Jesus emphasize about worship to the woman at the well? How does that help us to understand the emphasis of worship?
- What do you do to prepare yourself to worship Christ on a daily basis? What does worship look like in your personal life? Your family life? At Church?
- What role does prayer play in your personal worship of God? What role does it play in our corporate gathering?
- How has God's word informed and fueled your personal worship of God this past week? How does Scripture inform and fuel your corporate worship?
- How can you know if your worship is acceptable to God on a given day? What determines whether you have acceptably worshiped Christ in our corporate gathering?
- In what ways could you assist others in pursuing personal and corporate expressions of worship in the most helpful ways?
- What can and will you change or adapt in your weekly schedule that would most assist you in your regular life worship of Jesus? Your approach to corporate worship?
- Spend time confessing any sin that has kept you from valuing God most and worshiping him well.
- Is there anyone in your life you need to offer a word of encouragement to that would assist them in worshiping Christ in the midst of their life circumstances? How will you do that this week?
- Pray for non-Christians who will be present with us on Sunday, that they will see their need to be worshipers of Christ.
- Pray for those who will be leading our gathering this Sunday. Pray they will lead in the most edifying way for the whole church: Dawson Bryant, music; Brandon Ferguson, Elders' Prayer and Scripture reading; Bret Capranica, teaching. Pray for everyone who is involved in assisting the church to enjoy God's worth during our Lord's Day gatherings.
- Listen to the songs and think through the lyrics. Prepare yourself to be focused on God alone as we sing together this Lord's Day.
Songs for Sunday
Morning Gathering - September 21, 2014