Preparing for Sunday - Proverbs, Part 1
July 23, 2015
Preparing for Sunday
- Read Proverbs 1-3:12. Who was this portion of Proverbs written to? What words or phrases are repeated or emphasized?
- What topics or life issues are addressed? What warnings are given? What is said about wisdom or attaining wisdom? What are wisdom and knowledge linked with according to 1:7, 1:29, and 2:5?
- How are the actions of the wise distinctly different then the actions of the other categories of people listed?
- Skim the remainder of Proverbs. Does the pattern of writing change at any point? Are any writers notated, additional to 1:1? What are a couple of key words that are repeated throughout the whole of the book?
- Were any portions of the Proverbs particularly familiar? How have they been specifically instructive to you in the past?
- How is wisdom or the attaining of wisdom described differently in Proverbs than our culture would?
- Consider the differences in the actions and intentions of the wise compared with the other categories of people listed. How could your life most recently be described?
- Were any passages particularly encouraging or convicting during this reading?
- Plan for specific redirection in any area of life the Proverbs have indicated a need for obedience.
- Pray for those around you who display the negative characteristics described in the reading. Look for opportunities to share an insight from Proverbs with them.
- Pray for the Holy Spirit’s guidance in our understanding of Proverbs for all who will be present in our Sunday morning gathering.
- Pray for those who will be leading our gathering this week: Joel Conrad, music; Brandon Ferguson, Elders' prayer and Scripture reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Review and meditate on the lyrics of the songs we will sing this week. Listen to each of them so that you know them well enough to sing with understanding and zeal.
Songs for Sunday
Morning Gathering - July 26, 2015