Preparing for Sunday - Matthew 24:29-35
- Read Matt 24:29-35
- Re-read Matt 24 for context and for perspective continue through chapter 25 to finish “all these sayings” (26:1)
- "This generation will not pass away until all these things take place” (24:34 ESV). See Matt 12:45; 16:4; 17:17; 23:36 for Matthew’s other uses of generation and consider what he means when he uses the term.
- Why would the tribes of the earth mourn at the apperance of the sign of the Son of Man?
- If the words of Jesus will not pass away, but the earth and the heavens will, where should we invest time, effort and energy?
- Ponder the darkness and shaking of the heavenly powers in v. 29. How important will faithfulness in little things now be when those things are going on?
- If you are failing in the little things now, repent, ask someone to hold you accountable and establish the faith-building disciplines that the Spirit will use in more severe trials to empower your perserverance.
- If you are grateful to have a faithful and biblically literate teacher to help your understanding of this passage, remember to pray for Pastor Bret as he prepares and delivers the sermon this Sunday.
- Pray for those who will be leading our gathering this week: Dawson Bryant, music; Adam Naler, Elders' prayer and Scripture reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Spend some time preparing for worship in the music below, but more importantly the lyrics. In the song's for this season we are reminded of the first coming of our Lord and through the sermon we are longlingly looking to the second coming, Praise the Lord!
Songs for Sunday
Morning Gathering Lyrics - December 6, 2015