Preparing for Sunday - Matthew 22:41-46
- Read Matthew 22:41-46.
- How is this encounter between Jesus and the religious leaders different than the previous scenes recorded in this chapter?
- Who or what might the Pharisees have thought of when Jesus referred to "the Christ"?
- Read Psalm 110, from which Jesus quotes. Based on this Psalm, what were some things the Jews were expecting the Lord to do?
- Considering the Pharisees and their attitude toward Jesus: Why do you think he quoted this portion of the Psalm in his question to them?
- What are some of the attributes of Jesus reflected in the implications of verse 45?
- Do you think the Pharisees understood the implications of Jesus' statements in this passage? Why or why not?
- In what ways should this passage be comforting to believers?
- Consider how you would respond if the question in verse 42 were posed to you.
- Reflect on what this passage highlights about the authority of Jesus. Are there any areas of your life that don't reveal a submission to that authority?
- Consider how this passage should impact your approach to sharing the gospel with people around you.
- Plan to initiate conversations with specific nonbelievers in your life through which you can discuss the elements of the gospel with them.
- Pray for the gathering of Summit Woods this Sunday, that the Lord would use this passage to sanctify those who know him and bring others to salvation.
- Pray for those who will be leading the service this week: Dawson Bryant, music; Brett Harris, Elders' prayer and Scripture reading; Bret Capranica, teaching. Pray for protection of their hearts and for their families as the lead us corporately in worship.
- Listen to the following songs and prepare for singing in our corporate gathering this Sunday.
Songs for Sunday
Morning Gathering Lyrics - June 21, 2015