Preparing for Sunday - Matthew 20:17-34
- Read Matthew 20:17-34
- What do you recall about the previous references Jesus made regarding his upcoming death? See 16:21 and 17:22-23. What details does he add in the current passage that were not in the previous references?
- Do you think the mother of the two disciples was aware of Jesus’ previous announcement when she made her request?
- What is the “cup” that Jesus references in verse 22? What do you think the two disciples thought it would be?
- What do verses 24-28 imply about the motive of the mother’s request?
- What does the plea of the two blind men reveal about their view of Jesus?
- Think about the implications of what happened in verse 34. How does that relate to the previous two scenes?
- Reflect on the details that Christ predicted regarding his upcoming capture and death.
- Consider your first response to verses 25-27. Does your approach to life reflect these verses or run contrary to them?
- Think about verse 28. Does your view of the purpose of Jesus’ life match this verse?
- Consider how this passage could be useful in evangelistic conversations.
- Remind yourself of the cost of the sacrifice for your sin.
- Could verses 26-27 be better applied to your life? Plan steps to implement them in a specific area.
- Plan steps to share the content of verse 28 with a specific non-Christian.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will use the preaching of this passage in your continuing sanctification as well as that of the entire congregation
- Pray for those who will be leading the service this week: Dawson Bryant, music; Mark Krystyniak, Elders' Prayer and Scripture Reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Listen to the music we will sing this week and prepare yourself to sing with understanding and zeal when we gather on the Lord's Day. Use the lyrics to meditate on the message of each song.
Songs for Sunday
Morning Gathering Lyrics - March 8, 2015 by Summit Woods Baptist Church