Preparing for Sunday - Matthew 16:17-20 (Part 2)
- Read Matthew chapter 16, focus on verses 17-20
- Why was Peter called “blessed”?
- How was Jesus’ response to Peter different than his response to the group of the disciples in 16:8? Why?
- From these verses, what are the connections between heaven and earth?
- What was Peter’s role to be in the church? Why?
- What were the disciples to do with this conversation? Why?
- Consider the extent of your own profession of Christ and how that has affected you.
- How do you view the authority of the writings from the apostles compiled in the Bible compared with the direct words of Christ?
- What is your view of evil in the world versus the advance of the gospel and the strength of the church?
- Confess sin revealed through the examination of this passage in light of your profession of Christ.
- Pray for the persecuted and oppressed church and their reliance upon Christ.
- Use the points of prayerful meditation to broaden the ways you share the gospel.
- Pray for non-Christians who will be present this Sunday to respond appropriately to God's word.
- How should this text impact our congregation as a whole?
- Pray that God will prepare our hearts for his work of grace this Sunday as we gather.
- Pray for those who will be leading our gathering to edify the body well: Dawson Bryant, music; Mark Krystyniak, Elders' Prayer and Scripture Reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Listen to the songs we will be singing together and meditate on the message of each song. Prepare yourself to sing together with the church on the Lord's Day
Songs for Sunday
Morning and Evening Gathering - October 26, 2014