Preparing for Sunday - Matthew 16:13-17
- Read chapter 16 of Matthew and focus upon Matthew 16:13-17 (perhaps using various translations).
- Where are Jesus' and the disciples in Matthew 16:13? Locate it on a map at the back of your Bible. Where had Jesus been ministering previously?
- What is Jesus saying about himself in the question he asks the disciples?
- What do we learn about Peter and the disciples in the given text?
- Why do people give the answers they do about who the Messiah is?
- What does Jesus indicate about how Peter came to the conclusion he did about Jesus' identity? What does "flesh and blood" refer to?
- Think back to when you were convinced of who Jesus was. What led you to that conclusion?
- What do we learn about God's work in our knowing who Christ is in this passage?
- What are common conceptions about Jesus in our culture today?
- What is so significant about understanding Jesus to be the "Christ, the Son of the Living God?"
- How should Jesus' identity affect how you respond to him?
- Spend a few moments in prayer and consider the practical results of Peter’s answer to Jesus’ question.
- How would you answer Christ’s question: “Who do you say I am?” How do you come to that conclusion?
- Pray for non-Christians who will be present this Sunday to respond appropriately to God's word.
- How should this text impact our congregation as a whole?
- Pray that God will prepare our hearts for his work of grace this Sunday as we gather.
- Pray for those who will be leading our gathering to edify the body well: Dawson Bryant, music; Mark Krystyniak, Elders' Prayer and Scripture Reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Listen to the songs we will be singing together and meditate on the message of each song. Prepare yourself to sing together with the church on the Lord's Day
Songs for Sunday
Morning and Evening Gathering - October 12, 2014