Preparing for Sunday - 1 Thessalonians 5:14
- Read the entire letter of 1 Thessalonians for context. It is only 5 chapters, try to read it in one setting.
- Do chapters 4 and 5 remind you of anything else we have been recently studying? How has the emphasis directed us to live? Expectantly and Faithfully?
- The sermon text is 1 Thessalonians 5:14. What part of the letter is this found in? Does that lend itself to the understanding of what Paul is trying to communicate?
- Who is Paul expecting the Thessalonian believers to peacefully and patiently work with?
- What types of action is Paul instructing them to take with these people?
- In light of the focus of discipleship for our church, how should this text anchor us in discipleship?
- Think on who you have engaged in discipleship at this church and at previous churches in your life. What kinds of people have you worked with? How do you attitutudes and actions reflect what Paul is expecting from the Thessalonian believers?
- Pray that God would open your eyes to how you have been discipled and who you disciple and that if there are any differences in the commands of Paul in Scripture that we would be convicted to repent and walk in the truth.
- Pray for openess to approach those you would not normally approach and engage in discipleship.
- Engage others this week in meaningful conversations focused on the Gospel and look for ways to begin relationships built on discipleship.
- Pray for our church to become centered around the command of Christ to make disciples and to do so through the lens of Scripture as found in this text.
- Be intentional to attend the Equipping Class for discipleship this year to equip yourself.
- Pray for those who will be leading our gathering this week: Dawson Bryant, music; Todd Arnold, Elders' prayer and Scripture reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Spend some time preparing for worship in the music below, but more importantly the lyrics. Pray that our church would come together as one to sing praise to the Lord, "teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God". (Col 3:16)
Songs for Sunday
Morning Gathering Lyrics - January 3, 2016