Preparing for Sunday - Matthew 7:7-12
- Read Matthew 7:7-12.
- How does this section on prayer fit in this context? How do you know? Compare this with the similar account in Luke 11:9-13.
- Read John 1:12 and Matthew 7:11. What do these verses say about how God views those who are His children?
- What do these encouragements to pray say about our relationship with the Heavenly Father? What affect should this have on our earthly relationships?
- How does verse 12, the "Golden Rule," fit in this context of prayer? How does a right understanding of our relationship with the Father affect our obedience to verse 12?
- List as many encoragements to pray as you can from verses 7-8.
- How should we understand these promises? Does this mean that a child of God gets anything they ask? Why or Why not? How does Matthew 5:1 affect to your understanding?
- List ways in which God has shown you the truth of these promises.
- List how understanding that God only gives good things to His children positiviely affects your relationships. How would having a weak understanding hinder your relationships?
- How can you foster a lifelong love for others that's rooted in the faith that your Father will give only good things through Jesus to those who ask?
- What keeps you from having a devoted prayer life?
- How could you cultivate a desire to pray in your life?
- Do you struggle in your relationships, being selfless and humble in your love for others? How would a deep understanding of your position in Christ, and God's overwhelming promises for your good affect this attitude in your life?
- Pray for our church to specifically show the kind of love Jesus is calling for in this passage.
- Pray for those who will be leading our service on Sunday: Dawson Bryant, music; Mark Krystyniak, Elders' Prayer and Scripture Reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Listen to the music we will be singing on Sunday and prepare yourself to sing with the church. Consider how the lyrics undergird the message of Matthew 7:7-12.
Songs for Sunday
Morning Gathering - February 17, 2013 by Summit Woods Baptist Church