Preparing for Sunday - Matthew 16:1-12
- Read Matthew 16:1-12. How would you sum up this passage in one sentence?
- Compare this passage with Mark 8:11-21. What is similar/different?
- Read verses 1-4. What do the Pharisees and Sadducees ask of Jesus? Why? What is Jesus' response?
- Read verses 5-12. What are the disciples concerned with? What is Jesus' response?
- What is Jesus trying to teach the religious leaders? The disciples?
- What areas of your life have you seen God teach you lessons of faith in? What does it say about God, us, faith, growth?
- What do Christ's works show him to be? How is God teaching you this? What makes learning this lesson so difficult for us so often?
- What does it take for you to joyfully, willingly, with risk, trust in Jesus?
- What points of encouragement should you draw from this passage? What areas of deficiency does it suggest in you? How should you respond in prayer to Jesus now?
- How could you use this passage to talk to a non-Christian about who Jesus is and why they should turn from their approach to life and follow him? What non-Christians in your life come to mind? How will you plan to act on this?
- How could you use this passage to encourage another Christian in how to trust in Christ? What Christians comes to mind who could use your encouragement this week?
- Pray for God's Word to bear fruit this Sunday in the lives of non-Christians and believers as we gather.
- Pray for those who will be leading the service: Dawson Bryant, music; Rob Stouffer, prayer time and Scripture reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Listen to the songs we will sing on Sunday and meditate on the lyrics as you prepare yourself to sing with the congregation.
Songs for Sunday
Morning Gathering - May 25, 2014