Preparing for Sunday - Ezra: Part 2
Prepare your heart for Sunday by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and tangibly putting scripture to action in your personal life, and in our corporate body.
- Read Ezra 6:19 through chapter 10.
- From chapter 7: What was Ezra’s role. How was Ezra described? What did the king command?
- What milestone was being celebrated at the end of chapter 8? In light of last week’s sermon, why do you think the people were celebrating this accomplishment in this way?
- What problem remained among the people, addressed in chapter 9 and 10? The people took drastic action to address this problem; what was the basis for their action?
- (10:3) What was the response of the people to Ezra’s command?
- How is God working in these events that are taking place? How would you view God’s work in all of this?
- In light of the reading, consider what the emotions, anxieties, and joys must have been like for the people involved.
- Consider how difficult the practical implications of what is recorded in chapter 10 must have been like. What rationalizations do you suppose caused this problem?
- Consider a time when obeying the Lord prompted a big change in an area of your life. In light of chapter 10, reflect on how quickly decisions of sin can affect major areas of life.
- Reflect on your daily life in light of what you know of God’s Word; particularly in light of last week’s sermon. Is there a sin that you should confess and forsake?
- Pray for those in our church body whom you recognize are struggling with the effects of sin, either in their own lives or in the lives of those near them. Pray that regarding this, difficult decisions will be made clear to them by God’s Word and Spirit.
- Celebrate the Lord’s work in the Gospel through rehearsing the songs chosen for our gathering this Sunday.
- Pray for those leading our corporate gathering this week and for the Holy Spirit’s work as the book of Ezra is further explained and applied: Joel Conrad, music; Brett Harris, Elders' prayer and Scripture reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
Songs for Sunday
- Forevermore (Video)
- Grace Alone (Video)
- All I Have is Christ (Video)
- And Can It Be (Video)
- When Trials Come (Video)