Preparing for Sunday - 1 Cor. 2:6-16
Prepare your heart for Sunday by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and tangibly putting scripture to action in your personal life and in our corporate body.
- Read 1 Corinthians 2:6-16 (include 2:1-5 for context). What are the key words in this passage? How are these words used in this passage differently than our culture might use them?
- List the things that are given and/or received. For what purpose are they given and/or received? What are they contrasted with?
- How does Paul refer to his original audience (either expressly stated or implied)? Considering what we have previously learned about the culture of ancient Corinth, how does Paul reference that culture in this passage?
- What specifically do you think of in terms of today’s culture when you read the words in verse 6 “wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age”?
- The Sermon Study equipping class notes are available online for anyone wanting to dig deeper. Please review this week's notes to help study this passage. Click here for the notes.
- How do you see yourself in terms of the key words used in this passage? In which category of people referenced would you place yourself? Why?
- How much do you value what Paul values, as expressed in this passage? How much do you value what Paul seems to disregard?
- How could this passage help you pray for those around you who don’t know Christ; possibly those with whom you’ve been communicating the gospel?
- What does this passage reveal as your own greatest need, or what do you desire after reading this passage?
- Examine your heart to see if there has been an indifference in your life toward the topic of this passage.
- Repent of sin and rejoice in recent victories that may have come to mind while meditating on this passage.
- Pray for the work of God’s Spirit on your mind in regard to how you see yourself in the terms of this passage.
- Consider specific ways you could “impart” what you know about the Lord to specific people within your influence.
- Follow the links below to the lyrics and recordings of the songs planned for our gathering this Sunday; sing the songs while being mindful of the lyrics.
- Pray for those leading our corporate gathering this week and for the Holy Spirit’s work as the Word of God is further explained and applied: Dawson Bryant: music; Rob Stouffer: Elders' prayer and Scripture reading; Bret Capranica: teaching.