Preparing for Sunday - 1 Cor 5:1-5
Prepare your heart for Sunday by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and tangibly putting scripture to action in your personal life and in our corporate body.
- Read 1 Corinthians 5:1-5. What is being addressed by Paul? What does he say about the depth of this problem?
- What is the attitude of the congregation regarding this issue? What does he suggest about their attitude toward this? Why?
- What does Paul say about his relationship with this congregation? How does he direct them to respond to this issue? How do you suspect that response may have played out?
- What are the differences between the congregation’s view of the problem and Paul’s view? Why do you think Paul was so direct about this?
- The Sermon Study equipping class notes are available online for anyone wanting to dig deeper. Please review this week's notes to help study this passage. Click here for the notes.
- What are your first thoughts about Paul’s response and suggestion regarding the issue among this congregation?
- Why do you suspect the congregation held the view they apparently did? What view of this problem would have driven Paul to give the response he gave?
- What type of issues in the church irritate you? Why? How do you suspect you might have responded if you had been part of this congregation?
- Who or what is at risk among this congregation if they do not act?
- Recognize any sin in your own life that has recently come to light. Confess and turn from that sin, make intentional plans to guard yourself from temptation.
- Pray for our congregation as a whole regarding our willingness and obedience to disciple one another and biblically address sin.
- How can the sermon and passage from this past Sunday specifically assist you in praying for our congregation and our leaders? Pray specifically for our spiritual leaders and their discernment over our congregation.
- Click the links below to find the lyrics and recordings of the songs planned for our gathering this Sunday; practice the songs, study the lyrics and sing together.
- Pray for those leading our corporate gathering this week and for the Holy Spirit’s work as the Word of God is further explained and applied: Dawson Bryant: music; Rob Stouffer: Elders' prayer and Scripture reading; Bret Capranica: teaching.